There are very few ‘bars’ I will eat any more whether the purpose is a protein bar or just a quick snack bar to go. The main reason is there is just way too much added sugar in most bars. Well, I came across these fruit and nut bars in The Eat-Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook and planned on making them. Sadly, I just got to it recently and regret not getting to them sooner.
They are so easy to make, taste wonderful, and you can eat them right out of the freezer!! Hot damn! I know they’ll become a regular staple during the school year and in some selfish way I don’t want to share them because then I’ll turn around to get one and there will be none left. 🙂
- 1/2 cup whole oat flour
- 2 tbsp oat bran
- 2 tbsp Sucanat or other unrefined sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 1/4 cup hulled hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 cups combination almonds, walnuts & pecans, corasely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dried dates or prunes, corasely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried pears or apples, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole egg + 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, allowing a little extra to hang out the two opposite sides.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oat bran, sucanat, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in flaxseed, hemp seeds, almonds, walnuts, pecans, and dried fruit, and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat whole egg, egg whites and vanilla extract until thick and foamy. Add to fruit and nut mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Scrape into prepared pan, pressing mixture into edges. Bake on center rack of oven for about 30 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly. Lift bars out of pan by holding onto edges of parchment paper. Let finish cooling on a wire rack. Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut intp 16 bars.
Calories 193|Calories from Fat 79|Protein 5g|Carbs 28g|Total Fat 9g|Saturated Fat 1g|Fiber 3g|Sodium 32mg|Cholesterol 0mg