We tried out a new recipe from Clean Eating Magazine last week & it was a keeper! A little shrimp, sausage, and heat makes a fabulous dish!
SPICY (RED)* QUINOA JAMBALAYA
- 1 cup (red) quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 lb. deli-fresh, low-fat spicy turkey sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces & casings removed
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 yellow pepper, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 orange pepper, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan on medium-high. Add sausage & saute, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and bell peppers and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Distribute shrimp evenly over top of sausage-pepper mixture. Cover and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes, until shrimp are firm and pink.
- Season quinoa with salt and pepper, transfer to a large serving dish and top with sausage-shrimp mixture.
*I used regular quinoa because that was what I had on hand; it tasted delicious. 🙂