Since I normally only cook for two I’m always trying to find different ways to use up all the food we buy so none goes to waste. The COSTCO chicken rotisserie is no exception. I’ve used the bird leftovers in many ways, but was looking for something different than my typical backup plans of chicken enchiladas, chicken salad, etc. Enter: Broccoli & Chicken Casserole.
This casserole is quite good, lower in calories and doesn’t call for any pasta, rice or potatoes. For some people that might mean it’s not a casserole, but to me it means casserole is back on the menu.
BROCCOLI & CHICKEN CASSEROLE*
By WillCookForSmiles via Food.com, adapted by Mastidon
12-16 oz. chicken rotisserie, chopped
2 cups broccoli, chopped
3/4 cup onion, chopped
8 oz.fresh mushrooms, sliced
5 oz. cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup water
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded (I prefer sharp)
salt and pepper
- Cook broccoli. Steam or boil – no need to season. Leave in spears or large florets.
- Saute onion and garlic just until slightly soft. 3-5 minutes.
- Mix can of cream of chicken soup with water.
- Layer in 9 x9 pan. Chopped chicken on the bottom, followed by broccoli, onion/garlic, mushrooms, soup mixture, salt and pepper, and cheddar cheese on top. Additionally you can add toasted breadcrumbs on top of the cheese if you wish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.